Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

I get why ostriches burry their heads in holes...

Oh, Hi. you can call me awkward. 

I've always been pretty great at talking to strangers- much to my parents dismay. I meet great ones everywhere- on the bus, when wandering around churches, in the library, while crying on park benches, when crossing the street, during dinner, in art galleries...
But Please, Tell me- Why is it so easy to talk to them, and so incredibly difficult to talk to someone you actually know??

"yeah, um... sorry, but I seem to have misplaced my verbal communication skills. let me stare awkwardly at my lap, or at the ceiling, or at your face when you talk to me..."

"You going home for thanks giving?"
"..... yeah..."
"Oh that's fun."
"...yeah.... oh, um what about you?"
"Probably to my grandparents house. but its a lot of gas to get there, and I don't know if I want to drive in this weather..."
"..... oh.... um yeah.... Bye."
*mentally hits self in forehead for being such a goob.*

sometimes I wonder how I manage to keep friends.
Yesterday, I went to stake conference with my family. My sister suddenly nudged me in the arm- " Is that Allen?" I looked around, and surprise it was! My long lost skater-artist friend was going to the row behind us.
"Say hi to him!" she whispered. I nodded, then tried to make eye contact- when I suddenly got this stupid worry that it was really his twin brother Adam. So, instead of saying hi like a normal person when he was in good view, I waited until he was walking right behind me- you know so i could get a closer look at him. The ending result was me almost head butting him in the stomach as I leaned my head back to look at his face. Our eyes met awkwardly, I whispered "Allen?" and he sat down without saying anything.
 Oh Gee.

No comments:

Post a Comment