Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

I'm seeing a pattern here...

I just met another strange man in the library. 
It was the typical "Oh, hello, care if I sit here?" type of thing- followed by five minutes of ignoring each other, before a"So, What are you working on?" and a "What was your name again?"
Again? did I say my name before?
He then decided we were friends.

This is the Fourth time this has happened. (Except I can't really count one of them because it happened on a bus, instead of  at the library.) I hope this isn't becoming a habit...

Its not like I ask for it! I'll just be sitting there, minding my own business- when suddenly-
  "Hey there! Judging by the giant textbook and concentrated look on your face, you must be dying for a conversation! let me just take a chunk out of your study time for some lively conversation!"
To be quite honest, in the past, underneath all the oddness- I found it flattering.
However, I've since realized there are only two likely outcomes for something like this, and none of them desirable: 
  1. He falls madly in "like" with you, when you aren't at all interested, and ends up trying (or succeeding) in dragging you along with him to a Halloween Party, or Rock climbing... or something. And then you feel bad. Because he isn't your type. or because he sort of kind of reminds you of this kid you used to hate...
  2. He finds out you're a Freshman. The end.
(For the record though, it is possible to get a combination of the two- it usually results in a fantastic misunderstanding and you feeling stupid... that's the worst kind.)

Luckily for me in this instance- today was a case #2.
Case #2's always play out the same way.
Always.
"So, What are you majoring in?"
"Art. I'm thinking Illustration."
"Oh that's neat- I'm majoring in blablabla."
(in this instance it was psychology.)
"That sounds interesting / crazy / cool."
"Yeah... I graduate next month / I'm getting my masters / Just got back from my mission.
How long have you been at Utah State?"
This is when I know how the conversation is going to end. every time.
"Oh, this is my first year."
"Oh really? So you're a freshman?" (smile faltering a little)
"Yeah..."
"Did you just graduate high school...?"
"Yup."
(sheepish look completely replaces smile.) 
"Oh."
"Yeah..."
...Silence...
"Well, I've got to be going. It was nice talking to you."
"yup."

Every time.

My cousin had a pretty good solution for this. "Just pretend you thought they were a freshman too."
  "Oh, Really? so you're a freshman?"
"Wait- are you not? So, like you're old?... awkward."
I considered it... But then I remembered that most guys are as sensitive about being called young as they are about their receding hairlines. Plus, I have this absolutely ridiculous case of "Crap, now i have Guilt for being mean.." Good thought though.

Anywho. I think need some comfort food and a good movie. My self esteem is suffering.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAH oh my gosh, this happened on my date last night too!!
    "So, wait, when did you graduate high school?"
    " ....heh..uh. well. 2011."
    "Last year?"
    "yeah.."
    "Oh. Really? Well. I graduated in 2007..."
    and then I went off on him: "yeah well I don't like telling people i meet how old I am because the only people I meet are returned missionaries and they're always super surprised when I tell them how old I am!!" ...

    ReplyDelete